My daddy was so anxious to let the world knows that I was born. He emailed the whole world — mostly friends and relatives. In a result, I got a lot of flowers and wishes.
Image: It’s a boy.
oh … apparently I am a boy. In the hospital, almost all the things related to boys is blue in colour. That includes clothes, label, and towels. So even the balloon that came with the flower is blue. Meanwhile, pink is for girls. So I wonder why the flower is pink?
This basket of flowers is more colourful. I like the bear.
The nurse told mommy that she shouldn’t keep the flowers in the room for too long. The flower scent might cause allergy. So daddy combine all four bouquets of flowers into one, which is shown in the picture above.
I must thank all the aunties and uncles for the lovely flowers. I am a boy. So I don’t really like the flowers. However, I’ll accept all your gifts because daddy asks me to be courteous.
Daddy: Hey LeYoung, the flowers is for your mommy larr..
It is common now for newborn baby to get jaundice. Jaundice occurs when there is a build-up of a naturally occurring substance in the blood called bilirubin, Bilirubin is produced by the normal breakdown of red blood cells. As it begins to build up, it deposits on the fatty tissue under the skin causing my skin to appear yellow. What to do? I had to go through two days on phototherapy. It is a process of using light to eliminate bilirubin in my blood.
The nurse covered my eyes with black cloth. Daddy said I look a lot like Ninja Turtle.
I think I am more handsome than Ninja Turtle.
Technorati Tags: ninja turtle, phototherapy
After two days in NICU, I was moved into an infant incubator. This machine is a little bit old – the OHMEDA Ohio Care Plus Infant Incubator. Thank to this marvellous creation from Dr. Martin Couney, who is a specialist in the care of prematurely born baby.
I was laid on my tummy to encourage better breathing and sleeping. In this position, I can’t really move much. Just kicking from time to time. The nurse said I shouldn’t make much movement to save energy. Mommy fears the sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), which encourages baby to sleep on the back. But she doesn’t need to worry much because I was observed 24 hours daily.
Inside the incubator:
- I was kept warm with constant temperature and a radiant heater that can supply extra heat.
- High humidity prevent water loss from my thin skin.
- I was put into really deep sleep. This will help me grow and develop faster.
- I was protected from infection. Whoever need to touch me must wash their hands first.
I am strong. Life in the comfortable incubator was very short.
On the second day at NICU, August 17th, I finally felt the first touch from mommy. She was pale. I was so delighted to see her. I love you mommy 🙂
Image: I finally felt mommy’s first touch.
I was put into NICU (pronounced “Nickyoo”) 5 minutes after the uncle doctor pulled me out of mommy’s womb. They (the paediatrician & nurses) told my daddy that I was too small. NICU is a unit of a hospital specializing in the care of premature newborn infants. There are lots of tube and cables attached to my hands, my leg and even into my stomach. All these things didn’t really cause me a lot of discomfort. The worst incident that hurts me is when I knew that mommy didn’t sleep the whole night worrying about me.
Look at me. It was not that bad after all. I didn’t cry. Daddy told me that I am a strong boy. But mommy really makes me worry.
Image: I am a tough boy!
Mommy, I want you to stop worrying about me in NICU. I am fine here. You should
- listen to daddy, the experienced nurse and doctors. Be happy because you had successfully given birth to me
- stop your sense of guilt. I am doing fine. It’s not your fault that I ended up in NICU. I just can’t wait to see you and daddy.
- stop paying attention to the incredible amount of detailed information that the various machines are giving. Interpreting numbers is not as simple as it may seem. Indicators can fluctuate naturally from day to day or even minute to minute. Most of these fluctuations are not an indication that something has suddenly and dramatically improved or become worse. Listen to the doctor. He said I am doing great right?
I love you mommy. Please stop the worry. You make me feel bad 🙁
Technorati Tags: NICU, baby in NICU
Oooouuu.. I was born on August 16, 2007 at Island Hospital Penang. My daddy and mommy keep shooting my photo. I heard them saying that there are many uncles and aunties want to see how cute I am. My daddy keep saying that I am the cutest baby in the world. Do you think so?